Friday 22 March 2013

Resolutions update, 13 weeks in

I will stop using “I’m only taking the dog for a walk” as an excuse to go out looking like Worzel Gummidge’s scruffier cousin.

Erm, I kept it up for two weeks them reverted to my Compo-like ways. Best not mentioned. Success: 1/10

I will not get hopelessly drunk in the kitchen as a Pavlovian reaction to hearing “Sometime Around Midnight” by Airborne Toxic Event.

Achieved on two occasions! Success: 10/10

I will come up with a semi-convincing answer to the question “So, what have you been doing with yourself all day?”

Realised there's absolutely no point doing this, because however comprehensive a list is supplied the husband interrogator will scan it with a slight sneer that suggests they could have done it in half the time AND gone for a 10 mile jog, even if you know they haven't operated an iron since 2007. Success: 5/10

I will NEVER again use Cambridge park-and-ride.

Achieved. By not having gone to Cambridge. 10/10.

I will not buy any more body lotion until my current stockpile of nine unopened tubs is used up.

Achieved, but a struggle. Superfluous day cream was bought instead. Success: 8/10.

I will not go through my parents’ fridge, sighing heavily as I discard bottles of ketchup that expired in 2008 and miscellaneous furry cheeses. In fact, I will stop commenting on other people’s hygiene full stop, as it is surely only a matter of time before somebody punches me on the nose.

Achieved, by the hand of fate. Poor old Mum broke her ankle and by the time I went to visit, my aunt had cleared out the fridge. It was quite a shock to find it full of edible food.

I also maintained a fixed smile when someone was banging on about there being no need to use washing powder because some weird hippy eco-pellets that "aerate the water" do the job just as well. (These have been proven by Which? Magazine to be no better than nothing. But my smile did not slip.)

Success: 9/10. One point deducted for judging her inside.

3 comments:

  1. "Day cream"? What is it about the day that it requires a cream? And do you have to wash it off when dusk falls (to be replaced by "night cream", presumably)?

    I don't believe your hippy friend about wasing powder though. I use Ecover most of the time, except when things are actaully dirty, when an overdose of Bold is required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Looby, Looby, Looby. Allow me to initiate you the wonderful world of female skin care.

    Day cream is usually has sun protection and, critically, isn't too greasy so you can put makeup on over the top. Night cream tends to be richer and oilier. It may also contain ingredients like AHAs which are mildly exfoliant acids and can make your skin photosensitive so can't be used during the day.

    Re: cleaning I go through Eco phases, but the horrible truth is that nothing works as well or quickly as a few squirts of Cillit Bang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crikey it's not easy being a girl. Thank God I don't have to go through all that palarver every time I need to pop out to the corner shop.

    ReplyDelete